MetLife Senior Legal Assistant - Whippany, NJ in United States
Senior Legal Assistant - Whippany, NJ
Relocation Assistance Available
Description and Requirements
Role Value Proposition :
We are seeking an experienced paralegal to join the in-house Legal Services Team of paralegals and administrative associates to support MetLife’s Legal Affairs department and work closely with our Investments attorneys. This paralegal position will support attorneys and professionals across the Law Department, including our Fixed Income & Alternatives/Agriculture/Derivatives Investments Practice Group. This self-motivated paralegal will aid with a wide range of activities and primarily support the Fixed Income & Alternatives Investments legal team and Business Partners, and Legal Services Team initiatives. We expect that this role will support workflow for many of the asset classes supported by the Investments Law Department. The successful candidate will possess excellent legal research and legal systems proficiencies with strong attention to detail, highly adaptable, display legal acumen and good judgment. Ability to identify trends and opportunities to develop strategies and implement solutions to improve tools, systems, and processes. Reports to an on-site attorney and an off-site manager of paralegals.
· Support our secondary private placement program, including preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements and ancillary legal documents, oversight over funding and settlement process and management of transaction calendar.
· Analyze and summarize debt and equity transaction documents, including amendments and waivers.
· Corporate transaction milestone tracking from beginning to end, including post-closing matters.
· Review and revise non-disclosure agreements and assist with negotiations.
· Corporate entity governance and maintenance.
· Prepare and deliver responses to Anti-Money Laundering and Know your Customer requests.
· Support logistics and prepare deliverables for closings and portfolio management in various asset classes.
· Prepare private equity subscription agreements, assist with most favored nation reviews and tend to general corporate housekeeping matters.
· Respond to requests from business clients, external examiners, government agencies and regulatory authorities.
· Assist with files and database maintenance of files and project tracking.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
· 5-10 years of paralegal experience, preferably in corporate/finance.
· Ability to independently perform various aspects of research and analysis.
· Highly motivated and adaptable.
· Strong verbal presentation and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated strong attention to detail, excellent organization, time management, project prioritization, heavy document review, and proofreading skills.
· Unquestionable ethical and professional judgment; as well as the ability to work with confidential documents and information.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Solution-oriented, dependable, and cooperative.
· Ability and desire to collaborate with diverse personalities on-site and in a virtual team environment, as well as comfortable working independently with minimal supervision.
· Interest in strategic knowledge sharing and coaching of junior paralegals.
· Highly versed with technology, works optimally in fast-paced environment.
· High proficiency in Microsoft 365.
· Paralegal certificate and/or college degree preferred.
· Experience in Litera, Westlaw, LexisNexis, iManage, eDocs, GEMS, Boardvantage, Salesforce, Intralinks is a plus.
· Commissioned Notary Public preferred or willingness and ability to obtain commission.
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”